A few weeks ago I was stuck on what to make for my family for dinner one evening after work. When I come home from work the last thing I want to do is cook, especially if the meal takes longer than an hour. I had butternut squash and penne pasta, so I did a google search for recipe ideas using those two specific ingredients, and came across Penne with Garlicky Butternut Squash. It was quick, it tasted good, and my family loved it!
The recipe is below, and you need very few ingredients. This recipe is for 4 servings. Should you need more, just double it. Grilled chicken or shrimp would taste excellent with this.
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups diced (1/2-inch) butternut squash (from a 1 1/2 pound squash)
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
6 sage leaves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon powdered sage
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound uncooked penne
|Sauteing the Butternut Squash|
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Toss in the squash and sauté 5 minutes, or until it begins to get golden.
3. Sprinkle in the garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the 1/4 cup water, nutmeg, sage, parsley, salt and pepper, and cover the pan. Cook the squash until tender, about 5 minutes more.
5. Spoon on the squash mixture and toss gently. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan and pass more at the table.
Cook penne pasta until al dente according to instructions on the packaging. Drain thoroughly in a colander and return to the pot.
Keep up with me on these social networks